Friday, July 25, 2008

My Teeny Circle

The message on my machine said she was passing through and wanted to stop in and see us late afternoon. Good Golly! I don't think she even knew we moved. Had I not seen or talked to her in four years? Last I knew she had 2 kids. Did she have a van load of kids that I didn't even know about?

They moved out of state right after I had Abe. Then they moved further. To a really far away state. Which cracks me up because I didn't even know about that second move until the last time they stopped. FIVE years ago.

The thing with Shauna is that it was as if no time had passed. Except that we had tons of catching up to do. Neither one of us could believe how long it had been since we had last seen each other.

We had become friends so many years ago. Long before she had babies and when my girls were the age of her kiddo's now. Or maybe even younger.

We had so much in common that our friendship was easy. Low maintenance. Her and I have the same exact personality (wild and crazy with a bazillion ideas at all times) and Tom and Randy are both very calm. We loved old houses. Real estate. Decorating. Cooking. God. Golden Dragon. She is way more crafty. I have a Christmas ornament that reminds me of her every single year I hang it on my tree. I wasn't surprised to hear that for fun she works in a yarn shop and gives knitting lessons. She teaches exercise classes at the Y. Her kids both still go to Christian school where she volunteers. She isn't home much. They keep very busy.

Many times I feel like a failure as a friend. I struggle to stay connected. Even with people in town. Life shifts. Babies grow. Friends move. I am an introvert (my excuse for EVERYTHING!) My circle of friends is usually my neighbors and family. Someday the neighbors will move (speaking from past experience) and we may catch up with each other at the weddings of our kids or we'll bump into each other at the Main Street Deli. If we're lucky - a random Christmas card. But only if you let your old friends know that you have moved.

Wanna be my friend? Call me, OK? I am an introvert. What do you expect.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Good to know...I'll make sure to call so I'm not forgotten! =)

Smuddpie said...

Hi, Steph! I love the blog! I am subscribed now. It lets me see a whole 'nother side of you. I would never have called you an introvert. It was so good to see you and get at least a little caught up. Tell Randy that the deodorant didn't really pack any punch, so we went with clear fingernail polish. It was all good except for the Unit. It stung really bad. Poor kid.

Casey said...

I want to be your friend!! But I am an introvert, too. So if I don't call, that's why!