Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Snap Crackle Pop

I have been pursuing something for almost a year. Now that I have officially "acquired" it- I may be in over my head.

There is a lot of "happenstance" to my story. Last summer I happened across an article about a mother and her kids who couldn't eat pizza. Or pasta. Or bread. They were allergic to gluten. For some reason I found that very intriguing. I started doing research (AKA googling) and took some online tests and self diagnosed other family members as well as myself.

For months and months I have thought about just cutting gluten out of my diet. Except that I am horrible at reading labels. And it seemed that everything that I ate at every meal would have to be left off my plate. So that idea was shot down before it even began.

Then, I happened across a blog. The Gluten Free Girl. I took a link to yet another online test and wouldn't you know it? I had every symptom except two. One of those two is that I did not have a first-degree relative who had already been diagnosed.

I was sick and tired of literally feeling sick and tired and I couldn't get all of this stuff out my mind so I called my Doctor to see about having the blood work. That was the only way to found out if I was out of my mind.

I am sure the nurse thought I was a bit of a hypochondriac. She started out by asking me if I had a relative who had been diagnosed. I said no that I would be the one setting the curve for the family and that I was positive that three immediate family members would be right behind me for the tests. 15 minutes later she called me back and I had my appointment at the lab.

The results finally came in yesterday. Celiac Disease. Now I am wondering why on earth I ever wanted to confirm it? Here's the deal. It is a bigger deal than I thought. I had no idea.

My body thinks that gluten (the elastic protein in wheat, rye, barley, triticale, kamut, and spelt) is a toxin. So my body tries to attack the gluten but attacks the small intestine instead. The result of this is it leaves me feeling exhausted, anxious, and having terrible stomachaches and left untreated, can lead to colon cancer and other auto immune disorders such as diabetes and thyroid problems. It has recently been linked to Lymphoma.

Two years gluten free and my small intestine should be back to normal. So I went from thinking a piece of birthday cake now and again would be fine. The truth is that it will not be ok. I have to have a lifetime of gluten free food. ANY gluten would send my body back into a full-blown attack of the antibodies.

Today is day one of my gluten free diet and I'm starting a food journal. Honestly, it won't be near as hard as I thought.

Breakfast: Rice Krispies
Lunch: Rice Krispies
Dinner: Rice Krispies
Snack: Rice Krispies

2 comments:

Rebbecca said...

Never fear - being gluten-free isn't as difficult as it seems. I ate nothing but Thai Kitchen Rice Soup Bowls and fruit when I was first diagnosed but within a couple months I was back to eating delicious full meals. Stick to meat, fruit, veggies, rice, potatoes and oils and spices and you'll be amazed at everything you can still eat! Good Luck!

Rhonda said...

You know, I was feeling an empathic urge to join you and see how bad it is, but your Rice Krispie menu just threw me off the bandwagon. :)