
You finally decided to be born. 10 days late. In the middle of the night. Dad wasn't so excited to be getting woke up. When he finally got up he thought that he was going to shower before we left for the hospital. I think when he saw me, suitcase and keys in hand, he decided it may best to just skip the shower. We arrived at the hospital a little after 3:00 a.m. You were born shortly after 4:00 a.m. The first thing we noticed about you was the dimple in your chin. It is just as cute today as it was 18 years ago.
You slipped right into our routine. You were the absolute best newborn. Abby would pick you up and carry you around. She thought you were her little doll. By the time you were a toddler, though, things turned around. You would potty everywhere but the bathroom. You wrote on the walls and in books. You were a biter. If Wanda hadn't adored you so much, you would have been kicked out of her daycare many times. Most of the time you were sitting in her office (in trouble) when we came to pick you up.
Your shoes had to be tied just right. Your ponytails and braids had to be just so. Your quirky perfectionism drove me batty! Your constant meltdowns made us all crazy. You loved Barney. You always wanted to eat. You always seemed older than you were. You talked like an adult on your second birthday. You were always teachers pet.
When Abe was born you were like a second mommy to him. Actually, you were #1 mommy. I just fed him. You gave him baths. You changed diapers. You rocked him. You held him during his naps. Just the other night, when Abe was all snuggled in your bed, it brought back memories of when he was a newborn and you held him close. It made me a little sad.
All you ever wanted was to hang out with Abby and her friends. She looked at you as a pesky kid sister. Remember me telling you that someday you two would be best of friends?
You are my artist. You get that from your dad. I love how your mind works and the creative things you come up with. I also love the relationship you have with your friends. You are a great judge of character. They are blessed to call you friend.
You slipped right into our routine. You were the absolute best newborn. Abby would pick you up and carry you around. She thought you were her little doll. By the time you were a toddler, though, things turned around. You would potty everywhere but the bathroom. You wrote on the walls and in books. You were a biter. If Wanda hadn't adored you so much, you would have been kicked out of her daycare many times. Most of the time you were sitting in her office (in trouble) when we came to pick you up.
Your shoes had to be tied just right. Your ponytails and braids had to be just so. Your quirky perfectionism drove me batty! Your constant meltdowns made us all crazy. You loved Barney. You always wanted to eat. You always seemed older than you were. You talked like an adult on your second birthday. You were always teachers pet.
When Abe was born you were like a second mommy to him. Actually, you were #1 mommy. I just fed him. You gave him baths. You changed diapers. You rocked him. You held him during his naps. Just the other night, when Abe was all snuggled in your bed, it brought back memories of when he was a newborn and you held him close. It made me a little sad.
All you ever wanted was to hang out with Abby and her friends. She looked at you as a pesky kid sister. Remember me telling you that someday you two would be best of friends?
You are my artist. You get that from your dad. I love how your mind works and the creative things you come up with. I also love the relationship you have with your friends. You are a great judge of character. They are blessed to call you friend.
I have enjoyed these past few years with you as a “grown up.” You are easy to be around. I know that you get tired of me wanting to hang out with you. I won’t apologize. I will take advantage of every cup of coffee, every walk, every gluten-free dinner, every late night talk, that I can.
You have challenged me to see the world differently. For that I am grateful. I admire your strong faith. I love your sweet temperament but mostly – I just love you for you. I am proud to be your mom.
Happy 18th birthday Annie Bananie (from outerspace....)
1 comment:
Without a doubt she is special,
just like all of my grandchildren,
children and their spouses. I am the one that is blessed beyond measure.
Love you all and Annie it's been a great 18 years. Holding you dear to my heart forever!
Grams
Post a Comment