Friday, August 31, 2007

A work in progress....10 things I'm working on (or should be!)


1. How to be the parent of a grown up. It's hard to let go. It's like letting go of a piece of my heart. The piece I wanted to keep forever and ever. The piece that has been there for 21 years and is covered in scar tissue. It may even be stuck.

2. To be more generous with my time. It's OK if something "is not my thing." That should no longer be an excuse.

3. How to be a better friend. I've been leaning on mine for weeks. I'm sure they have cramps from holding me upright.

4. To be more hospitable. I really want to start having people over. I know I have been saying this since I got the Mennonite table 5 years ago, but this time I really mean it.

5. To be more compassionate. Not condemning. Not judging.

6. To know before 5:00 what's for dinner. I'm actually doing better this week.

7. Living in the moment. Not yesterday or the day before. Or even the day before that. Or that Tuesday in June of 1989...(you can just call me Grandma Ratzlaff)

8. To appreciate each of my children for who they are and not who I think they should be or by the choices they make. They may come home pierced in a strange spot or tattooed (or married) and it's OK. This is getting easier for me. Amazing what God can do if I let Him!

9. To not give unsolicited advice. This is hard because I seem to know everything and I really just want to spare my kids from making stupid mistakes. If only they would ask me (and then listen to what I have to say!) I could take this off my list.

10. Stop obsessing over miles per gallon. I'm currently high bidder on an oil well in Iraq. Gotta love E-Bay!

No comments: