Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The Last Supper


Tonight we will have our last meal as a "family". Abby has already requested Poppy Seed Chicken without the Poppy Seeds (typical Abby - she can never just eat something without it being tweaked one way or another). I feel like it is The Last Supper. It makes me very sad. When Abby is away at college our dinner conversation is always the same. Abe prays that he wishes Abby could be eating with us. Then he tells us "It sure is quiet without Abby here. I really miss her". EVERY MEAL HE SAYS THIS! I am wondering if he will say that for the next 10 years of his life. Our next 3,650 suppers I will have to be reminded how quiet our dinner table is. How one of us is missing. Or will one day he just forget. Will we all forget our family of five? We don't know when she will be home next. Nothing on the calendar. No plane tickets bought. This is the real deal. Supper will be quiet. Nobody to complain about the food (she is the picky eater). Nobody to tell us long exaggerated stories about her day. I am holding on to the hope of meals to come. When Abby comes home and brings her family along. There will be more picky eaters to complain about the food. More people talking and telling their stories. I can hardly wait!

2 comments:

Rhonda said...

Okay, I'm locking my kids up so they can never grow up.

Right after I lock them in their rooms for acting like little kids.

Joanna B. said...

Steph-you are such a great mom...enjoy your poppy seed-less chicken tonight and give Abby a great big hug for me!