
When I was 7 I was going to have a baby sister. Her name was Carrie Dyan. This is what my mom told me. When she went to the hospital to have the baby, my little brother and I stayed with my grandparent's. I could hardly wait for my dad to come and share the good news with us. Would she look like me? When my dad finally came I was in for the surprise of my life! The new baby had a different name. Chad. My 4 year old brother cried because he DID NOT want a baby brother and I cried because I wanted a baby sister! It didn't take long to fall in love with that little boy and I wouldn't trade either of my brothers for all of the sisters in the world! My prayers were eventually answered. I don't have a sister (great mom and sisters-in-law, though) but my daughters each have a sister of their very own.
I cannot believe these girls have the same set of parents. One of them could have moved away and been on her own in kindergarten (not kidding!) The other will have a difficult transition at the age of 18! One of them loves to shop (too much) the other does not like it at all! One of them is a very picky eater, the other will eat anything(especially bread). One of them has very bad allergies, the other has none. (sorry, Abs). One likes scary movies, one hates them. One of the sisters didn't miss a day of school until 3rd grade (this was traumatic. we almost needed therapy - perfect attendance broken because of stomach flu) the other sister, well, I picked her up early almost weekly because she was "sick" and in the nurses office. One of them is neat and tidy, the other messy. One is short the other one taller. (along with this comes bigger feet, too). One of them is a debater the other a very creative thinker.
They do have some things in common, as well. They like the same TV shows. They both adore their little brother. They both are strong in their faith. They share clothes. They like caramel popcorn. They enjoy going out for coffee and hanging out with their friends. Big Sister drove 12 hours to be at her little sisters Junior Prom this past Spring.
I will be the first to admit that one of the hardest jobs in the world is raising girls. There were many days I thought I was in way over my head (OK. I still feel this way). I am not qualified for this most important job of being a mom. What I do know is that this set of Sisters has been a gift to me from God and it has been a privilege to share in this special relationship with them both.
I cannot believe these girls have the same set of parents. One of them could have moved away and been on her own in kindergarten (not kidding!) The other will have a difficult transition at the age of 18! One of them loves to shop (too much) the other does not like it at all! One of them is a very picky eater, the other will eat anything(especially bread). One of them has very bad allergies, the other has none. (sorry, Abs). One likes scary movies, one hates them. One of the sisters didn't miss a day of school until 3rd grade (this was traumatic. we almost needed therapy - perfect attendance broken because of stomach flu) the other sister, well, I picked her up early almost weekly because she was "sick" and in the nurses office. One of them is neat and tidy, the other messy. One is short the other one taller. (along with this comes bigger feet, too). One of them is a debater the other a very creative thinker.
They do have some things in common, as well. They like the same TV shows. They both adore their little brother. They both are strong in their faith. They share clothes. They like caramel popcorn. They enjoy going out for coffee and hanging out with their friends. Big Sister drove 12 hours to be at her little sisters Junior Prom this past Spring.
I will be the first to admit that one of the hardest jobs in the world is raising girls. There were many days I thought I was in way over my head (OK. I still feel this way). I am not qualified for this most important job of being a mom. What I do know is that this set of Sisters has been a gift to me from God and it has been a privilege to share in this special relationship with them both.
1 comment:
No one is qualified, we learn as we go, you are doing a terrific job Steph!!!
It is now a very emotional time.
Changes are never easy.
I love you
Mom
Post a Comment