Tuesday, August 14, 2007

CAR TRUNKS & CAR KEYS

The last time that I took a trip with my dad I learned something about genetics. We were all loading into the car and he was hunched over digging in the trunk. I walked over to him to see what he was working on. He was organizing the trunk. "I like my car neat and organized," he told me. That is great. I can totally relate to that. No problem. I leaned over to get a closer look as to what was even inside the trunk. This is what I saw: 3 umbrella's and a backpack. Yep. That was all. 3 umbrella's and a backpack. Two umbrella's were mine as was the backpack. NOW I UNDERSTAND WHY I AM THE WAY I AM. I BLAME MY DAD! It certainly explains a lot about my borderline insane obsessive compulsive personality. I have had to let go of some of my perfectionism because of living with kids (Oh! and a husband). However, I am guessing when I am his age you may find me neatly organizing my umbrella's in my trunk, too. This personality trait completely skipped my first born but was passed along in double measure to my middle child. The two of us are also very organized. We rarely misplace our things (ie: keys, glasses, cell phone, badge to clock into work, etc...) We hate to be on the hunt for things that are important. There are 2 other members of our household who do not share the need for such order in their life. One of them being the big sister, who happens to be sharing the car with little sister this summer. The current object of little sisters obsession is her car keys. She has a new key chain, a gift from friends, and she loves those keys. So far this summer the keys have been lost, misplaced and locked in the car . Big sister does have her own set of keys but she is always relying on little sisters set because we always know where those are located. (On the hook by the backdoor, duh!) Last night little sis wanted to see and touch her keys. To look at her cute keychain. To be in control of them. Make sure they were not MIA. Big sis said, "they are hanging on the hook by the backdoor." She was very smug and proud of herself. After all, didn't I make sure there were lots of hooks and baskets right inside the back door so NOBODY should ever have to hunt for ANYTHING. Little Sis wants to verify this information with her own eyes. So big sis heads to back door to retrieve blankie (oops, I mean keys). We hear lots of noise. Purse being emptied, shoes being moved, bench being moved, back door being slammed.
Little Sis panics. She says she has 5 new zits at this very moment, all caused by stress. Her beloved keys are lost. I try and calm her. I am sure that big sister is not looking for the keys but simply getting something she needs out of the car. I stick my head out the door to try and assess the situation. Asking her what she is doing. Her reply "Looking for the keys! I know I had them earlier." All the while, I am trying to remember my CPR skills for baby sister. It's not looking pretty in our kitchen. Never Fear Mom is here: I remember Big Sister has a lot of stuff piled on the dining room table. Doesn't it make sense the keys would be with all of her books and stuff she carried in earlier? Of course it does. I find the keys. I give them to little Sister and tell her to go and share the news with her sister. The girls come in. Everyone is happy. Little sister has her keys. (will she ever let them go? I suspect that she sleeps with them under her pillow) Not 10 seconds later big sister is asking "Has anybody seen MY keys? The ones with my work key on them? I really need them before tomorrow!"

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

This has been a crazy, stressful day. Thanks for the laugh - I needed it!