Saturday, August 25, 2007

Pickled Beets


This morning, after coffee, I visited our local Farmers Market. I had one thing on my mind. Flowers. I was not disappointed. I picked up this lovely bouquet of home grown flowers for $3.00!


I walked past the tomatoes and cucumbers (I have tons of those in my own garden) and was on my way out the door when something deep purple caught my eye. Something very familiar. Something I had completely forgot about. Pickled Beets! In a mason jar! Suddenly, all sorts of memories flooded my mind. The smell and feel of my grandma's cellar. Her fresh dill pickles, her sausage and her, oh so yummy, Pickled Beets. After paying the lady for my treasure I headed home.

It's funny how at such unexpected times the littlest thing can trigger memories of days gone by. Special times. Special people. Times are different today. The people in my life are different.

I can't wait until dinner tonight. I will introduce Abe to Pickled Beets (I can see the look on his face now) and share my stories of when I was a little girl and all of the gardening and canning my family enjoyed, thanks to Grandma. I will tell him, again, of my Grandma's love and what she means to me. I continue to be blessed, even now, after she has been in Heaven for many years. If it wasn't for that special lady I would have walked right by those Pickled Beets and would have missed out on all the sweetness I was reminded of today.

No comments: