Tonight we were at Papaw Bon's house. While Randy was taking care of Papaw and I was helping Grandma Judy we lost Abe. This happens often. He gets lost in the shuffle a lot. Poor little guy. I found him in the basement. Trying to catch Edna. The cat. The cat who really doesn't like PEOPLE. This is funny because I really don't like cats. Edna and I could possibly be best of friends except that we would HATE EACH OTHER!
I told Abe he had better leave the cat alone. Edna doesn't like people or kids! Especially... little boys. Enough said.
I have a gift of reading minds. I've done it for years. ESP. I believe in it because I can do it. I knew exactly what Abe was thinking.
"Silly Mommy - you hate cats. I bet that is a nice kitty cat. I'll just wait until you are busy and will come right back down here and play with this cat."
I am the adult. He is 7. I have years of wisdom behind my words. He has none. Everything I say to him (except what I don't want him to hear) goes in one ear and out the other. I repeated my warning. Enough said.
A little while later Abe was in the kitchen crying. Very upset.
While we were busy with Papaw and Grandma, Abe was busy catching Edna. He finally got her. She got him worse. She hissed (whatever sound angry cats make) and scratched his head and his arm. More importantly, Edna scared the living day lights out of my little guy. I felt terrible for him. However, I did try to warn him. I asked him if he remembered what I said about Edna? He did. What part of DO NOT PLAY WITH THE CAT didn't he understand?
The wedding reception was on the 5th floor of the Opera House. There was an elevator. Abe loved that elevator. I was busy being mother-of-the-bride and seemed to have forgotten that I was also mother-of-a-seven-year-old. Abe was running around like a loose cannon with nobody watching him. At one point I saw him getting off the elevator. I took him aside and explained to him that he could get hurt or get stuck if he continued playing on it. No more elevator.
ESP: "Silly mommy - You will not ruin my fun day on the elevator. I will just wait until you go and talk to more people and will get right back on and play."
I am the adult. He is 7. I know a thing or two about elevators. I repeated my command. Enough said.
A little while later Abe was hysterical!! The elevator did not shut on his hand (as I had predicted) but the door opened and pinched his fingers while it was opening! I felt terrible for him, however, I did try and warn him. I asked him if he remembered what I had said about the elevator. He said he did. What part of DO NOT PLAY ON THE ELEVATOR didn't he understand??
The next time you see me - Abe will be following close behind on one of those kid leashes.
No comments:
Post a Comment