Wednesday, September 12, 2007

When your phone rings at 3:22 a.m.....

Annie & Papaw Bon at Abby's wedding reception

Randy's cell phone rang this morning at 3:22 a.m.
Since he could sleep through a tornado I was the one who answered.

Conversation:

Judy weeping: I've waited too long, Stephie. I've made a terrible mistake and waited too long.

I immediately know what she is trying to tell me. She thinks that they should have moved into the nursing home way before now (their move in date to assisted living is September 22) and she can no longer care for Bon. Especially in the middle of the night. Her burden is much too heavy and she needs somebody to take over for a while.

Me: Randy will be right over.


After taking care of his dad, changing bed sheets and starting laundry, Randy came home around 5 a.m and headed to work at 6.

At 7:30 this morning Bon went, by ambulance, to the ER. He has been admitted as a patient. They are running tests.

We're not sure if it's the Parkinson's. The family will meet with the Doctor this afternoon.

For the past couple of weeks Randy has been on evening nurse duty. He heads to his dad house around 9 p.m. He helps him with his bath and puts him to bed. He can longer do that by himself.

Neither one of us has even thought about our parents not being able to take care of themselves or becoming dependent on us.

I'm almost scared to ask this. What else we haven't thought of?

1 comment:

Joanna B. said...

Hey guys-we're praying for you and Randy, Judy and Bon. So sorry for the burden you're carrying.