Monday, January 28, 2008

Mac & Cheese

As I was scanning the church bulletin yesterday morning something caught my eye.

Summer camp dates. Specifically Trailblazer Camp, which is 3-5 grade.

I leaned over and asked Annie if she thought that meant Abe needed to be entering 3rd grade or have finished 3rd grade.

She pointed to dates and I re-read the information.

Trailblazer Camp 3-5 grade IN THE FALL.

How could I have overlooked IN THE FALL? I know. I am in complete denial that my baby is old enough to go to camp and spend the night - or several nights - away from home- with people that aren't his relatives. With a bunch of people I haven't ran background checks on.

Annie was quick to point out to us that he could probably survive a week in the wilderness all by himself.

He is pretty resourceful. He is mature (well - he CAN be). He swims like a fish. He is not a picky eater. He sleeps well. He is a friend to all. He can operate a cigarette lighter (Thanks Dad!) so he could be in charge of the camp fire.

Which is why I can't figure out why I have a lump in my throat just thinking about sending him off to summer camp.

I think if I suggested being a camp counselor some red flags may be raised.

However, I make a mean batch of mac & cheese & hot dogs...

...AND I have always had a dream of being a cook at summer camp.

You read that on my Bucket List - remember?

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

Still trying to picture you as a summer camp cook. I don't think that picture will every formulate clearly in my mind.