I'm still not sure about my short hair. Maybe after my hair color next month I will feel differently.
I've been ever obsessed (surprised?) with food. I have been reading up and researching whole grains and my-oh-my have I made bad food choices for my family the past 20 odd years.
Did you know that we should have three servings of whole grains each day and 30% of us get zero? Whole grains aid in digestive health and are great preventatives for things like heart disease, obesity, certain types of caner. Funny thing is I have heard all of this I just didn't think it applied to me! Good Grief!
I thought because we didn't eat a lot of processed food that we ate healthy. I buy 100% whole wheat bread and we have started purchasing all of our meat from the people who raise the cows and pigs but besides that - not so good. I bought cheap pasta and cheap processed white flour and snacks out of a bag. Not to mention eating out.
I am slowly turning into "one of those moms" who is going to stop buying sweet cereal, canned pasta, and oatmeal in packages. I know that Annie will have a fit but Abe - he is young enough that after 21 days he won't know any different. My family does not know how lucky they are to benefit from my dietary changes!
I also found out about Millet. It is full of iron (the only other grain which has more iron is Teff) but is mostly a "poor man's food." Here in the states it is used as bird seed. Alas! Why my crackers tasted like bird seed. I'm not so crazy after all. I think of all my gluten free groceries - the 20 pound bag of bird seed may be the biggest bargain yet! When I put that seed out in a cute bowl - instant trail mix.
I have come to realize that I can't take a 3 hour nap in the afternoon and drink 3 cups of regular Chocolate Blizzard coffee in the same evening. I felt like I was up all night. Dreaming about college loans and unemployment. Having two grown up kids is emotionally draining. After I get my physical health back where it should be I'm going to tackle my mental state of exhaustion.
I'm still standing by my theory that 1st grade through 4th grade are the "low maintenance" kid years, if there is such a thing. Especially since my 2nd grader always tells me my hair looks nice, he likes eating gluten free, he loves to fold laundry, he likes cooking, and still thinks his mom and dad are smart! On second thought - maybe he's just a brown noser ! Our son - AKA Eddie Haskell.
No comments:
Post a Comment