Saturday, March 15, 2008

I am not a Scaredy Cat

A friend asked me, "What do you fear?"

This question was timely considering 24 hours earlier I had listened to a sermon on Peace and Anxiety.

Just for fun I thought I would see what fears would pop into my head. It was an easy experiment.

I fear......
  • Eating Gluten - which I did tonight. Not intentional.
  • Getting lost - I have no sense of direction.
  • Loosing my teeth - or chipping my teeth.
  • Loosing my hair -honestly, if the wind blew just right - what's left would blow right off.
  • Loosing my mind - not knowing my kids or husband. Or doing some striptease in my Depends in the nursing home.
  • Leaky basement - I really can't handle this. It is a true fear.
  • Having more cellulite than muscle - This is becoming a reality.
  • Not progressing - I want us to get ahead and not just keep making due.
  • Being broke - not being able to buy yummy gluten free pretzels. (those things are crazy expensive!)
  • Cancer - I only think of this when I have my mammogram (yesterday) or notice a suspicious looking mole (once a week)
  • Randy having cancer - this would be worse than myself having cancer.
  • Something happening to one of my kids. I don't even let my mind go there.
This list could go on forever. Some of this is ridiculous and some is real. If I start dwelling on everything I could make myself crazy. Which I have done in the past. Those panic attacks do me in. Panic attacks are a real fear.

That being said, I am choosing not to worry. OK. Not worry so much. I'm trying to give up the nasty habit completely. It's hard when you are used to a pack-a-day.

Truth be told, I am scared. I am afraid. But I will not dwell. I will not worry. I will not have a stronghold.

I am refusing to walk in the shadow of fear.

My only fear now is that I will forget all of this Peace by tomorrow.

No comments: