I have been so smug because I was "healthy." I had no seasonal allergies. No food sensitivities. No sneezing. No skin rashes. When Abby complained because her throat was itchy or she had sores in her mouth after eating things like carrots or cantaloupe or strawberries (and I am so sorry, Abz) I thought she was exaggerating. Or craving attention. When we found out that, yes, she was indeed allergic to almost every fruit, vegetable, and tree, known to mankind, I thought it odd because her parents and siblings seemed fine.
And now I have such empathy for all the people struggling with food issues. Because I am one of them.
Last night, as I was dying from a horrific stomach ache, I was going over and over every single thing I had put into my mouth. I am so careful and I just couldn't figure out what had made me sick. I am Little Miss Type A and a rule follower and so not a cheater.
As I lay in bed reading (my new book from my gift basket) it hit me like a ton of bricks. And the news wasn't good. I am aware that the majority of people who suffer from celiacs usually have another food intolerance or allergy. I, personally, choose to believe that I am in that small number who are just gluten intolerant. Really, I can't handle another "issue" in my life at this point in time. I was reading the chapter on cross contamination. For some people ANY amount, no matter how small, is too much gluten. I also choose to believe that I don't belong to this elite group. Just so happens there is a ton of stuff on that list. Including, but not limited too, Tostito round corn chips. Which I had just eaten hours earlier. In fact, there were pages and pages of products - stuff I felt "safe" eating - most of it is cross contaminated. And for some - that is just too much for their little tummy to handle. BINGO!
Seriously, am I really one of the freaks who really can't eat anything?
I am going shopping. I need some braids. A Peace necklace. Calico skirts. And Birkenstocks.
Next time you see me, I will be one with nature.
No comments:
Post a Comment