Friday, October 5, 2007

To hook up a telephone....

We thought Bon needed a phone in his room so he could call us without having to go into the hall.

Since I have so much time on my hands and nothing else to do I got the job of getting Bon's phone transferred from the house to his room.
Let me tell you that I know AT&T.
Let me also tell you that I am not so good with activities that require patience.
So good ole AT&T & me... it's not gonna be pretty.

The first time I called I needed the last 3 digits off of the phone bill. Didn't have it. I did have the last 4 digits of the SS#, which work just as well. YEA!!

My enthusiasm was short lived. I had Bon's SS# and apparently it was Judy's who was on the account.

It takes me a while but I get her number and call for the second time. After 20 minutes on the phone with customer service (I know this because my phone has a timer on it) I am given the transfer confirmation number. THEN I am given the NEW phone number! HUH? I panic. Why are they getting a new number? "Lydia" says there is no other way to do it. I tell her "yes there is!" So I am put on hold for yet another 5 minutes. She comes back and says "We have to have a new phone number." She doesn't speak English so well - so I'm not sure she even understands what I am saying. I cancel the order.

I am frustrated.

I take two Ibuprofen.

I call back. After less than 5 minutes with an English speaking customer service representative we have everything scheduled for the next day. Same phone number. YEA!

In addition to moving the phone I am in charge of the new cordless phone. I programmed all important numbers in and typed up a speed-dial list along with instructions how to use the new phone. Yesterday afternoon I went to hook up the phone and give Bon a phone lesson.

The phone doesn't work. It worked at my house just fine.

So I call his phone number from my cell phone to see if it will ring.

There is a message that says that number is no longer in service or has been disconnected.

I call AT&T AGAIN! Go through the entire automated system and give them all the pertinent info that they need before they can give me any information. (good grief!) They inform me that the order is in the system and it should be completed before 8:00p.m. It is currently 4:00.

At 8:30 last night - you guessed it - NO PHONE!

It takes me 30 minutes of calling and re-calling and entering and re-entering numbers to talk to a human being.

The latest update - the order will be completed today.

I have a feeling something is wrong and I am ALWAYS right!

I take three Ibuprofen and go to bed.

I call this morning. I hold for 10 minutes. I finally get to talk to somebody only to be put me on hold again to check on the order.

I am disconnected.

I take four Ibuprofen.

I call back and start the entire process all over again.

I hold.

I explain.

I am transferred.

I talk to Gerald. Gerald speaks English AND is competent. BINGO!

It appears something is wrong with the order. HELLO!!

Gerald "fixes" the order and PROMISES the phone will be hooked up today.

YEA!! For real this time!

I hope.

I am completely out of Ibuprofen.

2 comments:

Rhonda said...

Not to mention completely overdosed!

Abby Jones said...

I wonder if anyone knows what you're quoting in your title!