Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Eenie Meenie Minie Moe

Apparently there has been a rumor going around that I have a favorite child.

According to married daughter the favorite is baby sister. She was the baby for 10 years and then became the dreaded "middle child." That right there should put all speculation to rest. If she was still the baby she maybe could be the favorite. But everybody knows that middle children are NEVER the favorite!

Isn't it common knowledge that the oldest child is the favorite. The first born.

Let me say that again.

FIRST born. FIRST! Perfect. Smart. Organized. Driven. Beautiful.

I am a first born! Go figure!

That also describes my little Abby Jo. She must be my favorite. You can never love a child as much as that first little baby you hold in you arms! She made lots of good choices. She's always had a job and earned her own way. She did great in school and continues to be an over achiever in college. BUT she was colicky as a baby. Very, very colicky. I just can't overlook that. AND she didn't like to clean her room as a teenager (or as an adult - that messy attic is still fresh in my memory!) THEN she grew up and decided to move to Chicago. Far from home. THEN she pulled the wedding shenanigans. OK. It wasn't the wedding inasmuch as the short notice for me - the long processor. Maybe baby.....

In the family I grew up in I always thought the BABY was the favorite.

That means Abe must be my favorite. AND he's the only son. It is most possible that he could be my favorite. He is cute and smart and funny. I like funny a lot. Yep. Funny is Abe. He always is thinking of others. He is a little giver. When I saw his handsome face for the first time I loved him as much as I did his big sisters. He does get in trouble at school, though. AND he gets rambunctious. I like things calm. AND I have no idea what kind of teenager he will be. He may be out of control and I will be senile when he is in highschool and who knows? I may not be able to control him. He may have to move in with one of his grown up sisters so they can take over. Maybe it is the middle...

Scratch what I said about the middle child not being the favorite. That isn't the case at all. Annie has a huge heart and likes things neat and tidy (just like me!) She loves people and is a servant. She is artistic. She always decorates my chalkboard at home. Yep. She could be the fave. The first time I saw her darling face all I noticed was that dimple in her chin. WHERE DID THAT COME FROM? I love that dimple and I loved her just as much as I did her big sister. BUT I just remembered that she snuck out of the house one night. Not our house. Our PASTORS house. With HIS daughter. AND her head spins completely around - in circles - when she gets mad. Not a good idea to even be in the same house as her when she is in a mood. Nope. Maybe not her....

Which of my beautiful smart children is my favorite?

I love them all the same! I adore all their quirky personality traits. I find joy in how they are all so different. Well, not so different. Abe is a perfect blend of Abby AND Annie.

Funny thing with love is that it GROWS. It does not DIVIDE.

So each of my little Punkins' is my favorite.

My love for them grows more everyday.

That said - I can be bribed. Whoever agrees to take me into their home and NOT pack me up to the nursing home when I am old - they will be the favorite. For real. Not kidding.

3 comments:

Abby Jones said...

Well you better wait to get old then... unless you want to share a room with Stella who loves waking everyone up at 7am. I'm sure you'd really love a tiny city apartment in your old age!

Anonymous said...

Well Said!!!!

Joanna B. said...

great entry Steph-you have 3 amazing kids