Wednesday, October 24, 2007

27. A Love Story

27 years ago (GASP!) today, was an important date in history. It is the day that I met the father of my three adorable children. I tell them that I hand-picked the best Daddy just for them.

Here are some of my cherished memories from that wonderful day. Funny how much detail I remember and I couldn't tell you what clothes I wore or had for supper two days ago!

disclaimer- I would lock my girls up forever and a day if they ever did this. However, I need not worry because they are so much smarter than I ever was at their age. I credit my wonderful parenting! Except for Abby- she never did listen to a word I told her.
  • I had talked to Randy on the phone several times but had never met him.
  • He lived in the "city" 15 miles away.
  • He had seen my cheerleading picture but I had no idea what he looked like.
  • This is what I knew: He had an identical twin brother, divorced parents, a broken shoulder (bar room brawl?) He drove a White '57 Chevy. He had long hair. He wore flannel shirts & work boots (neither were cool) and brown tinted glasses. He did not play a musical instrument (didn't everybody?) He had lots of speeding tickets AND he smoked (OK. What on earth was I thinking?! I could not have met a person more opposite than myself)
  • It was a Friday night.
  • We had a home football game.
  • My ride to town was with the quarterback.
  • We lost the game.
  • My ride DID NOT want to make the trip. He was not happy about game.
  • It was cold. Much colder than today. No - I don't have an opinion on Global Warming but it was way colder in 1980.
  • Said football player finally decided to bring me to town. In his Green VW Bug. With no heat.
  • He dropped me off on Main Street and turned around and drove back home. 15 miles away.
  • I stood on Main Street, with lots of upperclassmen from my school, wondering how I was going to get home.
  • No cell phones in 1980. Who would I have called anyways?
  • I waited on Main street until a HUGE white car started to make a U-Turn.
  • I waived. Big white car stopped. I asked his name. He said Randy. I got in.
...and we drove off into the sunset and lived happily ever after.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

did you just described vern esau?
sam the pot head was the quarterback? promising! GOOD THING YOU WEREN'T RAPED!(that's what you say will happen to me if im out too late)