I hate to admit this but sometimes, when it comes to my kids, I'm dyslexic.
I DO know what they like and don't like. The problem comes when I get it backwards or all wrong. Which happened to me twice in two days.
One loves peas- two hate peas. Three like corn but then one of them announces she doesn't really like corn at all. Then a week later she likes corn again! Some love Rootbeer. Some love Cream Soda. A couple love my dump cake and one hates anything with warm fruit. And they wonder why I can't keep it all straight!
Tuesday evening Annie had college class. I told her, as she was heading out the door, that I would make something really good and we would have dessert and coffee when she came home.
I had just pulled a Cherry Dump Cake out of the oven when she walked in the kitchen.
I dished it out. With Cool Whip! and hot coffee.
This is when she "reminded" me that she HATES ANYTHING WITH WARM FRUIT! Don't I know that about her?? How could I not know that about her? Don't I remember EVERY Christmas morning when she doesn't eat that warm fruit salad? Jeez. (forgive me about the naughty word. Growing up, my grandma taught me that jeez was a bad word. I'm feeling a little rebellious today)
Then yesterday.......
Every time that Abe and I fill our Culligan water jugs at Wal-Mart he tours the pop isle. AND he always want some goofy flavor of pop. Not Diet Coke or Fresca (my faves) but something red or purple or orange.
For one thing - that's not even pop. It's like Kool-Aid with fizz. For another thing- the little guy has already had something like 7 cavities. I don't just buy the stuff for no reason!
Since Annie is gone this weekend and it will be tough on my little buddy (and me!) I thought I would surprise him.
I bought fizzy Kool-Aid. Strawberry pop.
Me: Abe! I bought you a surprise treat for this weekend.
Abe: What?
Me: You need to see if you can guess it.
after several guesses of everything Wal-Mart sells except Strawberry pop I gave him a give-away clue.
Me: You always want me to buy this pop when I am filling our water jugs.
Him: GRAPE POP! He practically wet his pants he was so excited!
Me: Close! Strawberry pop and ice cream. We are going to make Strawberry floats.
Him: I HATE STRAWBERRY POP! Don't you know that? I always want GRAPE pop.
Me: Strawberry. Grape. Not much difference, honey, It all rots your teeth.
Him: Can we take it back and exchange it, PLEASE?
Where did he get THAT idea from? jeez (sorry...again)
I have returned a lot of things in my day but I refuse to take back Strawberry pop!
He is going to have a Strawberry float and he will love it! Just like the Pickled Beets.
3 comments:
Mmmmmmmmm I love grape/orange/strawberry pop. It's SO much better than normal pop. Every time we go to the laundry mat Stella and I get an Orange Pop from the vending machine. It's the only pop I can even finish.
And as for Strawberry Floats... ABE, they're my favorite kind! So much better than nasty root beer.
Peas... well that sounds like something I should have for lunch. I might have to make some.
Oh, and cherry dump cake... my FAVE! Jeff's too. He finished it off in a matter of 2 days, so I suppose I'll wait awhile before making it again!
Love ya!
Abby
PS: I hate the warm fruit salad too.
Wow, Steph, you need to be writing this stuff down. No wonder your kids think you have favorites...:)
Steph, I've said it before, I'll say it again--you're a riot.
And I hate warm fruit salad too. ick.
Post a Comment