Tuesday, October 2, 2007

The price of a haircut

We took a vote to see if Abe needed a haircut. It was 3 for and 1 against. Guess who was against?

Sorry Buddy. You lost.

I go back and forth trying to decide long hair. short hair. long hair. short hair.

I love his long curly hair but he gets hot. Which means sweaty. Which means stinky. I'm not so much into a little boy who smells like a wet dog all the time.

Since he is in football and tae kwan do, it only makes sense to have short hair, since those activities equal sweat. Not to mention P.E. and recess at school.

I need you to be aware that HE DID NOT WANT A HAIRCUT! He despises haircuts.

His identity - well it's his hair.

He didn't try to gently talk his way out of it. No being diplomatic. It was a full blown fit.

Me being the in control mother that I am - I just told him how it was going to be.

I offered him a Pumpkin Sugar Cookie from the Cake Lady, conveniently located right next door to the barber shop.

Luke always remembers Abe from his past "not wanting a haircut" haircuts. I think he was impressed that it went much better this time. We went next door and got the cookie BEFORE the haircut. I kept it until after the haircut so Abe had something visual to concentrate on.

This is what the afternoon cost me:

Pumpkin Sugar Cookie $1.00

Barbershop Haircut $10.00

The toothless smile of MY 7 year old with a new haircut - Priceless.

No comments: