Monday, May 12, 2008

Three of a kind.

I have a new food processor. I probably don't really "need" it, technically. However, since going gluten free and subsequently ceasing to eat out I am making a lot of different and really good food! Stuff that I need a food processor for. Food like hummus and guacamole. Plus, I like to know that the food I am eating has whole food as the ingredients. Nothing like "red dye #9". See? I can justify that purchase! So, Abe and I were going to start with something very basic. Onions. I pulled out the food processor and the instructions. We chopped the onion in chunks and threw them in. I pressed "pulse" and nothing happened. I took it apart and put it back together. I DO know that the lid has to lock for it to work. Back in the olden' days I had a little Oscar. Still didn't work. I got the book out again. Hmmmm. What the heck? That is when I realized that it wasn't plugged in AND the cord was still all wrapped up in plastic. Abe really thought this was funny!

Yesterday, we went to celebrate Mothers Day at DQ. I turned to tell my brother something and notice that he is holding a half eaten icecream cone. Anytime that my family gets together for anything - it is crazy. Mostly because we have so many kids and mostly because it just is. It's who we are. We are all a little crazy. So - my first thought is that is Henry's icecream cone and he is just holding it while Henry runs around wildly in circles around Dairy Queen. I just make the comment that he better not forget and take a bite out of that cone. Icecream cones are made with wheat and thus - off limits for us celiacs. He gasped. He was shocked. It was HIS icecream cone and he had already eaten half. Had he forgotten that he had celiac or had he forgotten that icecream cones were off limits?

This morning, when I woke Abe up, I told him to grab his tennies and bring them down to save a trip back upstairs. He did. After breakfast I heard him screaming by the back door. He was rummaging through the bench where we keep lots of our shoes. He couldn't find his tennis shoes anywhere and he knew that he had just seen them. "Buddy, you just saw them because you carried them down from upstairs five minutes ago and they are sitting right here beside your chair!" And he thought me forgetting to plug in the food processor was funny?

No comments: