Save the best for last. Last but not least. One last time. Last one home. Last Dance. Last chance. At last.
I have been thinking a lot about how my life has been full of "lasts." Some happy. Some sad. Some don't really matter.
Like last night at Wal-Mart. Suddenly, I couldn't remember the last time that Abe rode in the cart. He is way too big - but still, I can't remember the last night I heave hoed him up in that seat. I don't remember the last time I at dinner at my Grandma's. I don't remember the last time I played my saxophone in the jazz band.
I do remember my last day of high school. I remember that we practiced graduation outside. I remember the sun and the birds. I did not like high school. I was more than ready to move on. That was a happy last for me.
Today is Annie's last day of high school. While other kids are more than excited to be finished with this chapter of their lives, she is not. She is one of those rare (odd?) kids who has loved her high school years. She has been surrounded by great friends, each of whom she loves dearly (me, too). And they seem wise beyond their years. Great parenting?! They all have GREAT parents!
I am so proud of Annie and her friends. They are very close and have been for years. They have had their share of differences and hit snags but always work through it. They are great at relationships, which is a great life skill, by the way.
I want them to know that even though these days at MHS may be over, they will cherish the memories that they have of these past four years for the rest of their lives. They will think that the best music came from "their time" and one day soon they will wonder why that same music is being played on the oldies station. These friends will be the ones who look forward to those creepy high school reunion weekends and reminiscing about the "good ole' days."
Congratulations class of 2008! I expect nothing but greatness from each and every one of you. I am sure you will turn this world upside down and I can't wait!
...and I will try not to cry on Saturday but I can't promise anything. I'm starting to get that feeling in my stomach and finding it very hard to swallow.
No comments:
Post a Comment