I had a phone call a couple of weeks ago from a girl I went to school with. It is time for our highschool class reunion. 25 years! Holy Cow! Somebody please pinch me! I immediately called one of my best friends from growing up. Her and I definitely don't talk often enough but as soon as we start it's like no time has passed at all. We had fun catching up and then she said the only way she would even go was if I went. Some things never change. That is how we were and I still find comfort in that. You know - "the more things change the more they stay the same!"
There were only 29 people in my graduation class and I think 27 of us were together since kindergarten. 13 girls. 14 boys. Or it could have been 14 girls and 13 boys. If I wasn't so lazy I would figure it out and give you the exact ratio but it was pretty much split down the middle.
There were three different girl groups. From third grade until 9th grade I bounced between two. I don't have many good memories of those times. Mostly, me trying to be somebody I wasn't so I could fit in with people who only wanted to be my friend if I was like them. Which I really wasn't. I guess I should clarify. We all wanted to please ONE girl. The one who called the shots and would make our life miserable if we didn't conform to her rules of life. Why did it matter what store our swimming suit came from? Why did we care? I wised up at the age of 15. Not near soon enough.
I was telling my brother about the big reunion and told him I was not at all excited. He asked if it was because I felt I was too ordinary. You know what? That was it. I don't have a PHD after my name (two of them do). I don't even have CPA after my name (several of them do - and I should, too, DANG IT!). I'm not executive VP of a fortune 500 company.
As I was talking to little brother last night he informed me that he was sitting around and thinking about his ordinary life and how much he loved it. In fact, it made him want all of us to go the park and have an ordinary hamburger cook out. He said these ordinary days were the days that his kids would always remember. Once again, I am reminded I need to focus on what I do have and not what I don't have. When will I ever learn?
So I pulled myself up by my bootstraps and am rising up to what is my ordinary life. Some of it is actually extra-ordinary. I'm very repetitive. I guess I need to be reminded over and over. I am glad I am not my own mother! I would drive myself crazy.
No comments:
Post a Comment