I was looking forward to getting our house ready for Christmas. Not the actual WORK that it involves but the end result.
The part when Randy and I are sitting on our couch, steaming mugs of coffee in hand, looking at the tree. Remembering Christmas past. Talking about how fast time goes. How time changes things.
I also enjoy our family all working together. Hanging lights. Hanging stockings. Hanging ornaments. Hot chocolate and popcorn. Lots of laughter and joy.
The perfect Sunday afternoon.....
I have decided that decorating for Christmas is like taking a family vacation. You have all these expectations and in the end they don't materialize exactly like you would have wished.
The part about Randy and I drinking the coffee is true. Everything else is how I would have chosen it to be. If I would have a choice. But I didn't.
Someone is always tired. Someone is always cranky. Our family always has a talker. The child who talks non-stop about everything and anything. And is always trying to show us something.
We were in shorts and it was too hot for hot chocolate.
Lights that worked in January didn't work now. Furniture needed to be totally rearranged.
After a trip to Wal-Mart, our tree has working lights. Not decorated but it does have lights. And gifts. Lots of gifts, which tomorrow will all be loaded up for the Thanksgiving trip.
When we come home I will flip a switch and have instant Christmas.
With all that Christmas decorating stress behind me I can now look forward to a relaxing Thanksgiving trip. Making those wonderful family memories. 12 glorious hours in the car with my family that I adore.
2 comments:
I'm so impressed. But decorating in shorts, that's just not right.
Hi...I'm in Chicago, and I"m actually playing Clarence in a musical version of the film. We opened this past weekend. I just ran across the quote at the top of your blog and simply wanted to say hello...and yes, I say that line in the show as well...
Post a Comment