And I know what you are thinking. You do that, too.
However, it was still broad daylight when were trick-or-treating. I'm not sure how that porch light rule works in the daylight but people did have their lights on already. And since I am a rule follower I was just trying to follow Halloween etiquette.
We had walked past a big white house (no porch light) when an 80 or possibly 90-something little old lady stuck her head out the door. She wasn't talking but grinning from ear to ear and her old bony hand was waving us over. About that same time her cat ran out of her front door.
She was very concerned over "Gypsy" being out all night on such a night as Halloween. My compassion for the elderly kicked in overdrive.
"I will get your cat!" I said with much enthusiasm.
My friend was so affirming towards me, too.
"Since you are a cat-whisperer?" she mocked. Clever, I thought.
I ignored her snide remark. At that moment I really thought I WAS a cat whisperer. She would be so impressed when I was holding that cat.
I squatted and said...
"Here kitty kitty kitty. here Gypsy. Nice kitty,"
Usually, kids and dogs flock to me. The same cannot be said for cats.
The little old lady had handed out candy to the kids while I was attempting to round up the cat. It was not going to happen. I headed towards her talking all the while about Gypsy.
"Will Gypsy be alright? Will she come back home? What should we do?"
She did not hear a word I said.
She was pointing that old bony finger right at me and shaking it wildly.
"Did you get candy?" she said to me. "I want to make sure all you kids get a piece of candy. I don't want to leave anyone out."
And then she giggled and said, "Oh! You are not a kid - are you?"
I think I threw her with my home-made costume. (see picture below) Can't you tell? I'm a Jogger.
But Hey! I'll take free candy anyway I can get it!
1 comment:
I'm sure it's cause you look sooo young and not at all because of your...ahem....well....height or anything.
Post a Comment