First, we always go to McDonald's for pancakes the night before Thanksgiving. That's not happening this year because our plan is to already be in Chicago Wednesday. Also, McDonald's is currently closed.
I have spent 42 Thanksgiving Days with my parents. This year, we are getting together the Saturday before. My kids have spent everyone of theirs with Grandma and Papaw, too.
All of us have always decorated the tree the day after Thanksgiving. Not this year. We won't be home. I have all of that to look forward to later. (minus Abby)
I have never cooked a Thanksgiving dinner. Ever. Oh! I have baked a turkey. And I have baked sweet potatoes. But I haven't done our traditional Thanksgiving meal ON Thanksgiving. I still have to call my mom to ask her if I cover the Mac & Cheese. And what about the sweet potatoes. And the turkey. And how long do I thaw the turkey and how long do I bake it? And we three girls are going to be doing it ALL. By ourselves. And all the food needs to be ready at the same time. On the same day. This will be a miracle in and of itself.
I am looking forward to all the memories we will have from this year. I am so blessed and I wouldn't change a thing!
Here is my top 10 Thanksgiving list. (no particular order)
- Mom and Dad - It will be bittersweet on Thursday without them. We may be driving their car so I will think of them often.
- My baby brothers - one of whom is lending me his GPS so we can get out of Chicago. The other brother - who loaded new songs on Abe's I-Pod.
- My Sisters-in-law - One who is bailing out on Thanksgiving dinner Saturday. She is headed for a well deserved girls weekend. And my other SIL who lives only steps from my back door.
- My husband - He really didn't know what he was getting into when he asked me to marry him. This, I am sure.
- My daughters - Each so different and each so alike. I am going to cherish every minute of the holiday weekend with them both!
- My little guy - I'm so in love with him. It is crazy how he completes our family so perfectly.
- My son-in-law and his daughter - they have made Abby so happy.
- My Faith - I rely on it daily.
- My friends - Quality is my motto here. I am very picky about a lot of things. My friends are no exception. They are each carefully chosen.
- My family's health - Sometimes I find myself going days without thanking God for it and I don't want to ever take this for granted.
3 comments:
Great ten!
I can't believe you are actually taking this holiday trip and braking tradition. Somehow, I think it will be good for your soul to shake things up a bit. =)
I will miss our dinner and all of you terribly on Thanksgiving too. This is all new to me too, and I have been trying very hard not to think of it. But I know how much Abby is looking forward to this. If we can't handle change in life we are in for great disappointment. Over the years I have learned after awhile nothing stays the same. Oh only to sit at my mother's thanksgiving table once again!! WE will miss you all!
I am so thankful for all of you and love you all so much!
I can't wait to hear all about your trip. I think I'm practically as excited as you are that you get to go (Ok, maybe not QUITE as excited). It will be great.
Post a Comment