We left home around 7:30 a.m. Saturday to submit Annie's art for a college scholarship. She was nervous about driving but I told her it would be great experience since she will probably be doing the 2 hour drive by herself before long.
As we're discussing where we should turn and what lane we should be in we see lights behind us. She asked me if those lights were for her. I was very optimistic and reassured her I was sure they were not. She said she was going to pull into the gas station on the corner and see. He followed us. He got out and walked to Annie's window. He introduced himself (he was very nice. and very young.) and told her that he clocked her doing 67 MPH in a 45. We were both in disbelief. I said that it was her first time to drive there and we were heading up for a college open house and we weren't paying attention to the speed limit, which we should have been, because we were so concerned over where we were going. While we waited I told her I doubted she would get a warning since it was so much over the speed limit. She was amazingly calm but said her day was ruined.
He came back and was still really nice. I was trying to figure in my head how much the ticket would actually cost and then how much her car insurance would go up when he leaned down into her window.
He said that since the speed limit was actually posted at 55 before the 45 he had written her up as going 67 in a 55. Because of that he was able to give her a written warning. Then he proceeded to tell us that ticket would have cost her $174 and he wanted to make sure that we enjoyed our day at the college!
And we had a very fun day!
1 comment:
I cannot tell you how many times I did that drive, they aren't kidding about the speed limit! =)
Post a Comment