Wednesday, April 9, 2008

are we there yet?

It seems as if I am mostly organized. I have files for receipts. Files for paid bills. Files for important papers. I have an organized kitchen and pantry. My closet isn't too bad, either.

My photo's, however, are a complete mess.

I had full intentions of having these pictures all organized by now but you know, life happened. I had three kids. I work outside the home. We've tackled a couple of house projects over the years. Eventually, those pictures have taken on a life of their own and have long since outgrew the shoe boxes and have found their way into two Rubbermaid tubs. These two big Rubbermaids hold my life for over 24 years. And tonight, my world was spread all over my floor. Because when you do something for one daughter by default you get to do it for the other daughter. Thus - the scrapbook for baby sister has began.

It's funny how I have arrived here. 40 something, mother of two grown daughters, and I'm not so sure how it happened. I'm still trying to figure out at what point in the journey time catapulted me into the future. I felt the jolt of that reality tonight.

First bath. First steps. Easter bonnet. First day of preschool. Trips to the zoo. Sleepy heads in Christmas P.J's. Sesame Street Birthday Cakes. Micky Mouse balloons. Bicycles without training wheels. Kindergarten floats. Lost teeth. Gap teeth. Halloween parade. Field trips. Vacations.DARE programs. Adorable cheerleader. Eighth Grade recognition. Piano recitals. First homecoming. First prom. All those milestones. All those years. All those hairstyles (ok. those would be mine).

I think most days I was trying to make it through the day without going insane. Or maybe it was that most days were so routine I did not appreciate the uniqueness in each of them. Do we all do that or is it just me?

Have you ever driven home from somewhere and suddenly you pull into the garage and can't recall actually driving there? That is exactly how I feel tonight.

No comments: