Monday, April 7, 2008

Come Sail Away


I have had fun remembering my proms. Have times changed or what? Something old thing that is new again are colored tuxes. I love to see the boys personality come out, too. The dresses don't hold a candle to the 80's, though. You just can' beat a Gunne Sax. Lace and Calico. What's not to love?

When I went to Randy's junior prom (I was a sophomore) it was way cool to go to another schools prom. After prom the movie theater, skating rink and bowling alley were open all night. I am sad to say I was not his date for his senior prom. We happen to be on hiatus that year.

My proms..... were only for the junior and senior class of our tiny school. No out of town dates. That meant 60 people-max. Our lunch cooks made our dinner and we had printed napkins with our prom theme and a program. Which would have been our high school mixed ensemble singing. Dinner was in the middle school lunch room. We moved on to the high school lunch room for our dance with all of the chairs lined up around the edge. Our decorations were some streamers and the big silver disco ball (which I take full credit for - we purchased it when I was on Stuco).


When we were seniors we convinced the teacher in charge to let us bring our out-of-town dates. Otherwise, us girls weren't coming. The out-of-town boys still weren't allowed to eat dinner with us but they were allowed to meet us at the dance. That was the year that the bad boys of the city crashed the small school prom. I can't even begin to tell you the stunts that they pulled because one of those crazy boys is the father of my children. There was plenty of REO, Styx, and Journey. And our after prom was a trip to a truck stop to eat breakfast at 1 a.m. Yippee!

Those were the days!

No comments: