We are in the middle of art mania. This weekend we will be taking Annie's art portfolio to college and submit her work for scholarships. But first, Annie has a senior booth at a community art show where local scholarships will be awarded.
She is in charge of setting up a booth displaying her best pieces. My job is to "help" her with this project. I am her assistant. My duties were to round up old benches, an old chair, an old suitcase, hooks, duct tape, and yards and yards of fabric. Before this little adventure all started she gave me the one and only job requirement. She told me I was not to open my mouth and give an opinion unless she asked for it. This is what she said to me, "You have lots of opinions and I don't want to hear them." Smart girl. She is right. I am a typical first born.
Later in the evening I really got caught up in the moment and commented how cool our booth was going to be. Oops.
She let me have it, "It is not OUR booth. It is MY booth."
She was right. It is just that since I gave birth to my kids I have been an all inclusive kind of mom. Every single thing that those girls did my heart was all wrapped up in. It is still strange to think that they are adults and my parenting has shifted to try and remain silent and let them be themselves.
No matter what the judges decide (which is all about personal taste, anyway) she will forever be first in my eyes.
No comments:
Post a Comment