Thursday, December 20, 2007

suddenly

The countdown is on. It is almost Christmas. Like I'm telling you something you have yet to notice.

I did not get to do all the things I had hoped and dreamed would happen this year.

My shopping was done with time to spare. I still have a few last minute stocking stuffers to wrap. Not a big deal, really.

It is all the other stuff.

Such as looking at lights. We've done this twice. How many times until I think it is sufficient?

And then I wanted to have all the neighbors over this year. I even proclaimed this out loud. To several of them. Didn't happen and won't happen. I barely squeaked in dessert with my small group and their husbands. I promise not to drink the rum and will make that Rum Cake and have the neighbors over New Years.

I still want to bake a couple of more things (in addition to the Rum Cake). This may come to pass on Saturday. The thing is that I like when Randy and Annie help me and they are both working all weekend. I will still have one little elf around to help me. It is the one who doesn't do dishes. Darn!

Here is the fun stuff coming up!

Christmas coffee with my friend, Pam. It would seem that it would be like every other coffee but on the Saturday before Christmas there is something magical about it.

Our Christmas tradition of going to my Aunt's house for Christmas snacks. Everything that my Grandma made and then some will be at the table. I'm not sure how or when this started but Abe and I feel as if "Christmas" doesn't really kick of until this get-together. I can easily gain 5 pounds just thinking about it.

Christmas with Randy's family. Because his dad is in a wheelchair now we decided it would be best at the nursing home this year. Our meal is KFC. I am not ambitious enough to cater this myself. I will bring treats, though.

Christmas Eve coffee with the girls from my church. I'm not sure how long this has been going on either but it started with a Bible Study that I was in and I LOVE this time on Christmas Eve morning. I will get to chat with friends I don't ever see and then we do one last run through of the downtown stores.

Christmas Eve with my family. We will all go to church and come back to my house for snacks. More than snacks. A meal of good snacks. I am coming up with a plan for all the kids. Because that is what I do. Get overstressed and then over plan to keep everything in check. I just want everyone to have fun (this would include me) So I'm feeding the kids first and sending them down to watch a Christmas video. Will that work? We'll see. When this group of kids get together they are WILD AND CRAZY!!! Abe is already practicing his Power Ranger moves, back flips and door jam climbing in anticipation of the party at our house. I am making them sugar free jello. We don't need to add to the mayhem.

Finally, on Christmas morning when Randy is reading from the book of Luke by candlelight I will sit and meditate what this celebration has all been about. Calm will wash over me and I will be new again.

I think we'll do a run through of this tradition this afternoon. Why? Because calm and new are both calling my name right now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sorry the fun doesn't include coming home Christmas day.