In an attempt to get our 7 year old to eat the crust, along with the rest of his sandwich, I have been over emphasizing how the crust happens to be my favorite part of the bread.
Abe was feeling overly affectionate towards me last night (which is rare in and of itself) and wanted to sit by me at dinner. His spot of choice is in between his big sister and his daddy, which happens to be across from me.
After we prayed, he grabbed the bread off my plate and put it on his plate! There was an entire basket of French Bread directly in front of him and I could not figure out what he was thinking. He proceeded to take the heel of bread out of the bread basket and he said, "you deserve this mommy. I know it is your favorite part of the bread." He was right. It is my favorite part.
After dinner, we ran to Wal-Mart. I have quarters in the console for my morning cup of coffee. He crawled into the front seat and grabbed a quarter before hopping out. I told him to put that back because it was my coffee money and he was not going to get one more thing out of the gum ball machine. I could tell immediately that I had crushed his little spirit.
He said, "It's not for the gumball machine. I wanted to put it in the bell ringers bucket for the little boys who won't get any gifts this Christmas."
My own heart skipped a beat and I handed him the dollar bills that were in the console, too.
No comments:
Post a Comment