Friday, November 21, 2008

soaps

I just read that the daytime soaps may be on their way out. This reminded me of when I would watch daytime TV.

It all started long, long ago when I babysat a couple of girls in the summer. I think I was in the 7th grade. I would get to their house around noon and after lunch they always wanted to watch One Life to Live before we went to the city pool. At first, I hated it. It reminded of when I was a little girl and my mom would be glued to the TV in the afternoon and I could not stand it! Before I knew it (it didn't take too long) I was hooked and enjoyed it just as much as the babysitting kids did. When I was in high school all the girls watched The Young and The Restless. So to be cool and atleast know what they were talking about I started watching that. My favorite was always One Life to Live, though.

When Abby was a baby I would put her down for a nap and watch One Life to Live from 1:00 - 2:00 and then Guiding Light from 2:00 - 3:00. This was the perfect time for me to wash all those diapers. Nothing like a bowl of popcorn, diet coke and a soap.

Sometime after I had Annie I just couldn't keep up anymore. Abby stopped napping and I needed a nap myself and I just stopped cold turkey. I have never missed them and to be honest, haven't thought about Asa & Clint or Reba & Josh for years. It also reminds me of my favorite magazine back then. True Story. I bet that's not around anymore, either.

Come to think of it, I don't even know one person who watches soaps. That may be why they are on their way out.

1 comment:

Two College Roomates said...

Actually (unfortunately) I am hooked on General Hospital... I rarely miss it! Something about the Russian mob vs. the Italian mob just hooks me...