I definitely go through phases where I feel I am on the verge of a breakdown and just start purging. I am currently in the midst of that right now.
I am a pack rat in denial. Suddenly, I have boxes of this and tubs of that and they were overtaking our basement storage room. Stuff like a little flocked Christmas tree that left white junk all over the place. What on earth do I need that thing for? I don't. I hit a brick wall and needed it all out. Out. OUT! Plus, I needed an empty shelf for my 72 rolls of paper towels and 60 rolls of toilet paper.
Annie and I weeded out my entire closet (I am proud to say that I can and do wear every single item left in my closet-nothing too big. nothing too small. nothing too ugly) and that started me on my most recent obsession. A couple of weeks ago I cleaned out the attic. I bet I took 20 bags of clothes to the Goodwill. THAT was an embarrassing donation. Since then, I have taken several more boxes of household stuff to our local thrift store and have a bag of books to drop off on my way home from work today.
I have cleaned out my kitchen cupboards and purged lots of old glasses we never used. I got rid of old Tupperware. I used to be a friendly Tupperware lady and I swear I still had every piece of sticky Tupperware ever made before 1990.
My plan is to go through Christmas stuff this weekend (I have NEVER weeded out old Christmas decorations) and then I'm going to start all over and go through all the rooms and closets again. Just to make sure there isn't something still lurking that I don't need.
Candace Olson is on Oprah today. If you watch HGTV you will be familiar with her. They are cleaning and decluttering peoples apartments. If you need any motivation at all - watch it!
3 comments:
WOA WOA WOA... STOP RIGHT THERE. They better not be any of my books, because there are still some I've been meaning to get back... and as for the holdiay decor, think of your eldest daughter in desperate need. That goes for wall hangings as well... I have not one thing hanging on the walls of my bedroom, and I would really take ANYTHING I can get.
Instead of going back through all of your other stuff...please, pleASE, PLEASE come do mine!! :o)
Doesn't if feel good to unload?
Post a Comment