
A letter to my brother.
Dear Tal,
Do you know what it does to a girl when she has a YOUNGER brother who turns 40? Well, let me tell you! It makes me feel old!
You have always had a special place in my heart. We have almost always gotten along fabulously. Except when I would win at Monopoly or play "Sonny" one too many times on my turntable. Do you remember how mad you would get at me, then? Or that one time that I threw the mustard bottle at you and the lid flew off while mom was at work? Besides that, I think we got along great!
You were such a trooper growing up. I would play cars and trucks with you and you would play Barbie’s with me. We won't mention what your Barbie's name was. Too much deja vu. Remember how we would play school and I would always get to be the teacher and you always were my student who I gave tons of homework to. Thanks for putting up with all my crazy boyfriends. What would a big sister be without all those boys, right? And thanks for eating all that weird food during my taste tests. I have the best memories of riding roller coasters and the KC Royals. And collecting 45’s, spying on the neighbors, camping, begging our parents for a pet and then I finally got a pet rock. I can't think of you without thinking of I Dream of Jeannie. The Flintstones. Toy Boy. Big Valley. ALCO and TG&Y. Petes Puddle. And our dishes at Clover Cliff. And going to the drive-in and going to rock concerts. We survived crazy babysitters and crazy teachers. We had those crazy made-up games. Remember beating the cars at Grandma B? And "Who has red hair?" And little people? And, darn, it, you should have made Babe Ruth!
Now that you are all grown up (well –that is a stretch) you are still my friend. You are my computer guy. I appreciate you being my cinematographer. I appreciate how you always remind me of things I have forgotten. I am thankful how you love my kids. You are so easy going and makes life fun. I love that I can share my past with you. And if I ever need to know the name of a song or who on earth sings it - I can count on you to know. You are the perfect middle child stuck in between your very high-strung siblings. Your children are blessed to call you "daddy."
I love you dearly and would not trade you for anything. Except maybe a sister and that isn't your fault. Chad was supposed to be a girl - remember? You did not want a baby brother and all I ever wanted was a little sister. Mom told both of us that baby was a girl! It all worked out in the end. You have a brother and I have two amazing brothers! I love how my brothers are friends. I also love how we all live so close we can get together on a whim. Thanks for moving back home!
Happy FORTY little brother!!
Love ya,
Sis
Dear Tal,
Do you know what it does to a girl when she has a YOUNGER brother who turns 40? Well, let me tell you! It makes me feel old!
You have always had a special place in my heart. We have almost always gotten along fabulously. Except when I would win at Monopoly or play "Sonny" one too many times on my turntable. Do you remember how mad you would get at me, then? Or that one time that I threw the mustard bottle at you and the lid flew off while mom was at work? Besides that, I think we got along great!
You were such a trooper growing up. I would play cars and trucks with you and you would play Barbie’s with me. We won't mention what your Barbie's name was. Too much deja vu. Remember how we would play school and I would always get to be the teacher and you always were my student who I gave tons of homework to. Thanks for putting up with all my crazy boyfriends. What would a big sister be without all those boys, right? And thanks for eating all that weird food during my taste tests. I have the best memories of riding roller coasters and the KC Royals. And collecting 45’s, spying on the neighbors, camping, begging our parents for a pet and then I finally got a pet rock. I can't think of you without thinking of I Dream of Jeannie. The Flintstones. Toy Boy. Big Valley. ALCO and TG&Y. Petes Puddle. And our dishes at Clover Cliff. And going to the drive-in and going to rock concerts. We survived crazy babysitters and crazy teachers. We had those crazy made-up games. Remember beating the cars at Grandma B? And "Who has red hair?" And little people? And, darn, it, you should have made Babe Ruth!
Now that you are all grown up (well –that is a stretch) you are still my friend. You are my computer guy. I appreciate you being my cinematographer. I appreciate how you always remind me of things I have forgotten. I am thankful how you love my kids. You are so easy going and makes life fun. I love that I can share my past with you. And if I ever need to know the name of a song or who on earth sings it - I can count on you to know. You are the perfect middle child stuck in between your very high-strung siblings. Your children are blessed to call you "daddy."
I love you dearly and would not trade you for anything. Except maybe a sister and that isn't your fault. Chad was supposed to be a girl - remember? You did not want a baby brother and all I ever wanted was a little sister. Mom told both of us that baby was a girl! It all worked out in the end. You have a brother and I have two amazing brothers! I love how my brothers are friends. I also love how we all live so close we can get together on a whim. Thanks for moving back home!
Happy FORTY little brother!!
Love ya,
Sis
1 comment:
Sissers...
Who better to have as a big sister than my very own little sister!
I know I don't say it much, but I love you, and it is because of you that I did move back. Nothing wrong with Chad, mind you!
I hope we have 40 more wonderful years of remembering when...
P.S. The 80's Ruled!!
Post a Comment