Monday, December 15, 2008

Grandma's kitchen

My grandma was the best cook and baker. She always, always, always had homemade goodies for us when we stopped in. At Christmas, that supply was even bigger! Here are some of my favorites!
  • Russian Tea Cakes (some people call these Mexican Wedding cookies)
  • Frosted and sprinkled sugar cookies. These are the same recipe that my Grandma's mother baked for people when my grandma was little.
  • Peanut Brittle
  • Peanutbutter balls
  • Peppernuts (Oh! My favorite)
  • Peanut Clusters
  • Party mix
  • Snow on the mountain cookies
  • Dipped pretzels

My Grandma's house was always warm in the winter. Not freezing cold like mine. Her house was very small and she always had something yummy ready to pull out of her oven in that little bitty kitchen.

I will always remember the best smell that would wrap my entire body at her front door. I will also never forget all the love and warmth that she had to share with everybody. Especially at Christmas time. Especially for me. I miss her most at Christmas.