Over the years Randy and I have been blessed by having great neighbors. When the girls were little we rented a house and the landlord lived directly across the street from the rental house. Before we had moved in the landlady was telling us about all the wonderful neighbors. We shared a driveway with the neighbors to the West and I was very anxious to hear about that family. She said an older man and his young girlfriend and her two kids lived next door. Hmmm.....
We quickly became very close friends. Her kids were older than mine but they played fabulously together. Later, we got lots of laughs about the older man and his young girlfriend!
For the three years that we lived next to Don and Beth and even a couple of years after we moved to Maple Street we spent Christmas Eve together. We would all go to church together and then go back to their house and the kids would watch movies and the four of us would sit around the old oak round table and drink coffee and then wine and eat all of our homemade treats. (side note: Don is the one who got me started drinking coffee with cream) We'd be there for hours talking and laughing. And then we'd head home carrying sleepy little girls in their Christmas jammies. It was 10 steps to our front door. Right across the shared driveway. I'd lay my head on my pillow and give thanks for the wonderful friends and neighbors that we had. I wanted that night to last forever.
Then we moved. And then they moved to Colorado.
Not a Christmas Eve goes by when I don't remember those that were so sweet, not so long ago, on Euclid Street.
No comments:
Post a Comment