Just so happens last week when I was playing the "grocery game" I saw Lil' Miss Grocery Game winner at the store. So I just tagged along with her for the remainder of the trip. It was then I realized how much more fun (oxymoron) it was shopping with a buddy. The flip side is that she pointed out how many coupons I was missing. Why on earth I had not just thrown in the towel already is beyond me. I sensed a pattern here. I would go with my list and my coupons and somehow not have all my coupons with me. This seemed to be happening week after week. All to save a buck. The strange is that I double checked my list against my coupons and then I had Randy triple check. I am nothing if not consistent.
Sarah tried to keep me motivated by reminding that by this time in the "game" we should have enough money with our coupon savings to purchase a small freezer. If we had saved enough money to purchase a small freezer and if I happened to already own a freezer doesn't that mean one thing? Yep. I could use that savings to buy A NEW PURSE! I guess I wasn't really adding up my savings so much. I was still a tad bitter over that free Crystal Light. (Now would be the time for you to take a moment to pray silently for my attitude. My family deeply appreciates that. Thanks.)
Since last week seemed to go a little better at the store I decided I wanted to do all my shopping with Sarah at my side. Just like Vanna White, she would show me the sausage and ask if I wanted link or patty. When I am alone I can't even find the Tennessee Pride.
I begged and pleaded and she agreed to meet me there. I printed my list, clipped my coupons and we had a "date." She reminded me that I should bring all my coupons as to avoid last weeks missing coupon fiasco. ALL my coupons? They are not cut or filed. In fact, they are a wadded up pile of trash. If I had a cleaning lady she would have thrown them out. Good thing I don't have one of those.
We met in paper goods and I saw her cart. Her black file box all neat and tidy and organized and memorized. Mine? All scrunched up in my fist. I try not to be too hard on myself. I am, after all, taking that accounting class from H.E. double toothpicks and what else does she have to do with her time except stay at home all day and clip and sort and organize and file? That just gave me a brilliant idea! I should give her all MY coupons to clip and sort and organize, too.
Miracle of all miracles, I had all the coupons for the things on my list. The best part was when the cashier gave me my total. An entire cart of groceries rang up to $40. And I saved....
drum roll please....
$62.00!!
2 comments:
Way to go!! But, I have to ask, is this Sarah - the one who can "stay home all day and cut and organize coupons" the same one who has a 5 year old, a 2 1/2 year old and TWINS??!!
Yes it is. Superwoman.
Post a Comment