As I walk around my big. old. empty. house I wonder why we need all this space. It really is a constant reminder that there is only 1 monkey left jumping on the bed. We all fit around the pub table in the kitchen so why have that big Mennonite table for 20? We all fit up on the snuggler for TV so why have that basement family room? We never sit in the living room. We only use two bedrooms. We don't really need that 500 square foot attic (however, I did take a 2 1/2 hour nap up there yesterday). So much space and not so many people. We each could camp out on our own floor and even then would have an entire floor to spare. It seems very frivolous to me these days. My house seems empty like my heart.....
As I am trying to grasp the changes that have so quickly been thrown into my lap, my therapist and sister-in-law says that I need to realize that my life now is my new normal. She says that her new normal is life with four kids and my new normal is life with one kid at home.
My new normal is being outnumbered in my house 2 to 1. My new normal is being out of the loop with everything that Annie kept me up to speed on. Clothes. Music. Friends.
My new normal is being the mother of 2 adult daughters and an 8 year old boy. How can that be normal?
1 comment:
Hang in there!! Don't get rid of the house or the table, yet! You know how fast time goes by--soon your new normal will be kids, spouses, and grandchildren in and out all the time at the coolest grandma house EVER!! Or maybe I'll move in. My family is driving me CRAZY!!! :o)
Post a Comment