Thursday, October 1, 2009

N.I.N.E.

The other day we found ourselves with some down time. Abe wanted me to read to him. Not a chapter book (as is our usual reading material lately) but picture books. The Rainbow Fish. The Hungry Caterpillar. We had so much fun reading that we went upstairs to the attic and dug down some of his sisters favorite books as well.

Abby's favorite book was "Minnie Mouse's Counting Book."


Randy and I still have this entire book memorized. Word for word. I think Abby could count to 10 by her first birthday. Seriously, we read this book ten thousand times. Before lunch. Every single day.

Next, Abe chose to read Annie's favorite book. "Love You Forever."


A couple of things really stood out when we were reading this.

First - Annie was really hard on her books. She colored in her books. A lot. And mostly the letter A. Also, the page about the little boy going to college was missing. Strange since Annie IS IN COLLEGE right now. What would she do if I drove to Manhattan with a ladder. Climbed up to her window and snuck in? Well, for one thing - she probably wouldn't even be there! That is exaclty why she tore that page out. She did not want to give me any crazy ideas.

Second - When I got to the page about the nine year old boy, it brought tears to my eyes. My BOY is nine! He is not eight. He is not ten. He is 9! No more little baby with his binky and his favorite silky. No more toddler in overalls and a striped t-shirt. No more little boy crying because EVERY KID in kindergarten has lost a tooth except for him. Nope. Nine. Do you know what I told that crazy nine year old kid?

I'll love you forever,
I'll like you for always,
As long as I'm living
my baby you'll be.

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

I love those books! This is so sweet.