Friday, October 2, 2009

what's in YOUR wallet?

I went to the library to check out a book just like I've done a million times before.

The Librarian took my card and said, "You have one of the older cards. (which I took as a compliment)
To which I replied: I know. I have had that card since 1984.
She responded: Our new system will no longer accept your card. We are offering replacement cards for free right now. Would you like one? (which I took as a personal attack)

What was I going to say? NO? That maybe, just maybe, I was attached to that little piece of plastic that I had since right after my move to McPherson. The EXACT card. I have never lost it. It has never been stolen or misplaced. Every time we moved they would slap a new label with my name and current address. That was long before computers. Then one day they put a label with a bar code on the back so that they could scan my card into their new computer. No more stamping a card pulled out of the back of the book. No more pulling the card out to see who else had read the same book. Nope. Those days are long gone along with my old card.

So I left the library with my brand spankin' new card. I was feeling kind of nostalgic about that old card. The labels were all rubbed off and you could just see part of my first name and part of my address from 3 moves ago.

Abe would remind me of that vintage card every time I pulled it out of my wallet for the Librarian.

He wold say: Mom! Your card is OLD! Why don't you get a new one?
To which I would reply: I know. I've had it as long as I've been married to your daddy. This card is the oldest thing in my purse. I checked out books for your sisters with this card.
To which he would respond: That IS old!

Feeling sentimental today, I guess. Over a library card. Who woulda thought?

No comments: