Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Happy B-Day Barbie!


My first Barbie arrived for my 6th birthday. I loved her but one thing really bugged me is that she had sunglasses that were stuck on her head which made it hard for me to comb her hair. That summer I went to spend the week at my grandparent's and all I wanted was to take those glasses off. My grandma told me I probably should just leave them on or I would loose them. So what did I do? I snuck into the living room after breakfast and tore those things off and hid them in a magazine rack.

What I remember is every time we went for a visit I would look for those little bitty baby blue sunglasses and could never find them. I did not want to ask my grandma because she would remember that she told me not to take them off because I would be sure to loose them (think Red Rider BB Gun). The entire summer all I wanted was those little glasses. Why on earth did I take them off in the first place?

My cousins gave me all their Barbies and one of them had a black and white striped swimsuit. I could not find my swim suit ANYWHERE. When I was sleeping over at my best friend Tami's house guess what I found? My barbie swimsuit! How could my best friend steal from me? I had no choice but to steal it back.

Imagine my surprise when a few days later I found MY black and white striped Barbie swimsuit. I had to sneak that stolen swimsuit back.

Now that I think about it - Barbie really caused me a lot of grief. All before the age of 7! And I haven't even thought about all those body image issues.

2 comments:

Casey said...

I love your Barbie story!! I never had a Barbie. I wanted one when I was about six. My mom told me I couldn't have one until I was older. When I was older I didn't want one. I always thought she was concerned about body image and stuff. It turns out, she didn't want to be the one changing the clothes all the time! Remember how hard it was to get the jeans on her sticky legs? Smart mom!! I have now had my fill of changing Barbie's clothes and hair via my daughters.

Stephanie said...

Yes! They are IMPOSSIBLE to dress. And then those shoes never would stay on! They are a source of frustration for all involved.