Tuesday, March 31, 2009

5 short weeks

When we moved Abby to North Park her freshman year, I could not even imagine graduation day. I was worried how we would be getting her home for Thanksgiving and Christmas. And by the time she would actually be graduating my adorable little five year old boy would be(gasp)nine!! There is a huge difference between a five year old boy and a nine year old boy.... AND Annie would have graduated from highschool and be in college herself. She still wasn't even driving stick shift. College? Hardly! Honestly, I could not envision these things coming to pass for the life of me.

There was a package waiting for me on my porch yesterday. Abby's graduation announcements. I've read them over and over and over again. I am as proud as a mamma could ever be. She has experienced a life time of memories in four short years. We left a small town girl with strong will and determination and a mind of her own in the city. Today she is a big city girl who is smart and wise with more determination than ever.

Last night I realized that I only see her about 7 days a year. I won't lie. I cried. When she was little it had never crossed my mind that someday she would grow up AND move so far away. Although, looking back, I should not be so surprised. She was three going on sixteen. Lil' Miss Independent. I'm glad she is following her dreams -but it's still stinkin' hard on a mommy's heart.

I'm on countdown to May 7th. I can hardly wait!

1 comment:

Casey said...

Congratulations, Mommy! You did a great job. When you pass out the champagne to toast her accomplishment, make sure you and Randy take a minute to toast your part in it...all that you've done to give her what she needed to get to this point.