Tuesday, February 17, 2009

living in a state of broke

Crazy times in which we live.

The state of Kansas cannot meet payroll and doesn't have the cash to send out income tax refunds. They have also shorted our schools of the money they owe them.

This is what Abe said yesterday:

"The school doesn't have any more money so if we use all of our markers then Mrs. Hulse can't go to the store and get any more. They won't give her any money to buy anything else for the classroom."

And then he said.....

"When we run out of markers at school I will come home and tell you right away so you can take care of it. You won't let us run out of stuff - will you mom?"

He is correct. I will not. In his lifetime all he knows is the adults who love him take care of him.

I am so sad that our kids have to experience the fallout for the bad choices the adults make.

But isn't that how it always is? Isn't that just life? That is what people will say. That is what people think.

I just want my kids to be kids. I want them to have makers and crayons and scissors and glue and books and snacks. To come home and go to piano lessons and karate. To have a new bike when their old one is too small. To be excited over Valentine's Day and their birthday. I want them to look forward to summer break and the water park and playing baseball and picnics with cousins. I want them to look forward to the first day of school with a backpack full of new pencils, crayons and notebooks and pink erasers. I want them to have small classes and teachers who are not stressed out about job security or too many students.

I will do what I can to filter the fallout before it hits him. He is only 8.

1 comment:

Casey said...

Amen! And isn't it interesting that the excuse that the state of Kansas is using...no money in the account=no refunds doesn't work when we need to pay them?