One of the sticky points in parenting is trying to decide which extra curricular activities to put your kids in and then when to let them quit. It's not always cut and dry. We have to consider finances, time. natural ability. We tried to let our kids experience a lot of different things and then let THEM decide. However, they had no choice when it came to learning an instrument and learning to swim. Those were MY house rules. Swimming and music. That is where I became one of "those" parents who crammed my dreams down my kids throat. And I would do it again and again and I would recommend it to all parents. Not cramming your dreams but promoting an instrument and swimming!
I can justify the time and the expense because it will improve his math skills AND we have a very expensive keyboard that was Annie's when she was the up and coming Mozart (she still is). Somebody may as well be using it. I can only play Stairway to Heaven so many times before I get sick of it.
I could tell after 2 lessons that Abe had a natural ability. He also has a really great piano teacher who knows how to get the kids hooked. He is currently playing Star Wars and almost has the entire piece memorized (level 1A but still....) When I picked him up from his lesson yesterday he said he loves playing the piano more than anything. In fact - he can't stop smiling when he is playing. He even plays Star Wars air piano.
His exact words to me:
"I smiled so much at my piano lesson that my cheeks won't stop hurting!"
No comments:
Post a Comment