Monday, August 2, 2010

it's the least wonderful time of the year

August. It's August. IT IS AUGUST!

How did that happen?

When did it happen?

I have never ever liked August. No. Not ever.

I cried when I took my girls back on the first day of school.

I do not like it. Not one bit.

Early bedtimes. Early mornings.

Annie is moving back to college on Saturday.  Even though she has been in and out all summer - she has been within arms reach. For me to hug. For me to have a cup of coffee with. For me to annoy with my annoying questions such as "Can I STILL wear this?" or "Help me find a shirt to go with these shorts....PLEASE"  She painted our camper. She cleans up the kitchen. She hangs out with Abe. I will miss her terribly. I also have a feeling this may have been her last summer home. Which really makes me weepy.

Abe will start fifth grade. That is almost more than I can even say out loud. The last year of elementary school. Didn't I just "practice" taking him to kindergarten? Didn't I just talk to the principle and his teacher. The reassured me he would be just fine.  I wasn't so sure.

What if he has to go to the bathroom?
What if he hungry?
How will he carry the lunch tray?
What if somebody teases him?
What if he needs a hug?
What if he is thirsty?
What if he is tired?
He doesn't know all of his letters....

Next year at this time (GULP) he will be heading to middle school. I am happy to announce that he does know all of his letters. Still......

August.

BOO!

2 comments:

Casey said...

AGREED!! However, Nelson and Corbin both have birthdays in August, so that gives it SOME redeeming value.

Stephanie said...

Casey-That is funny you say that because Annie's birthday in February is what makes that month not so awful! So I can relate.