Thursday, April 30, 2009

Proud Mamma

Somebody told me just the other day that I looked really sad. Really? I wasn't surprised to have heard it. I was surprised nobody had said anything before that.

I have been feeling out of sorts lately. Tired, mostly. Not the kind of tired that a long nap or a good 10 hours of sleep would fix, either. It is purely emotional from this job of mine. The one I took without ever even reading the job description. Of course, there was no job description. I'm not so sure I would have been on board had I known all the unknowns before I started. Today, I can honestly say I would do it all again. Yes. I would do it a million times over. However, there have been many days you would not have heard those words from my lips. When I think about all we've been through I can't help but feel melancholy (tired? sad?)

22 years and 5 months ago I brought a little teeny tiny girl home from the hospital weighing less than 6 pounds and next week she graduates from college. GASP!

She has experienced so much these past four years. All those trips to Union Station in Chicago on public transportation with all of her luggage that was as big as her and her 75# backpack. In the rain. In a snowstorm. The time that half way to Newton at 3 a.m. she realized she did NOT have a train ticket for her return trip to Chicago. The flights into KC and into Wichita. The almost missed flight. The delayed luggage. The roommate changes. The trips walking to Aldi's for milk. Heartbreak. Chemistry. Greek (not finished with that yet) New friendships that will last a lifetime. 2 laptops. Several jobs. Whirlwind romance and marriage and motherhood.

I never ever thought that I would live to see this. It always seemed so very far away. Getting here has been a lot of work for both of us. It has been difficult and a joy, It was awful and wonderful. It has been a wild ride. One that I am proud and blessed to have shared with Abby. I am a better person because of her.

Thank you God, for this daughter of mine.

2 comments:

Evy said...

You have done a great job and you should be proud...

Rhonda said...

As fast as this first year of school has gone, I can see how I will be waking up at his college graduation tomorrow!