Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Happy Earth Day!

Randy and I joke that we have been "green" long before it was cool. We have always had to "recycle" and "repurpose" because of our budget. OK. To be completely honest - our LACK of budget. For 25 years we have garage saled and went to auctions and even picked up other peoples junk from their trash heap. I am not the one who has to be at the garage sale first, either. The stuff I like is always there at the end! I know that saying way too well, "One mans junk is anther mans treasure."

I have recently realized that I have large motor art skills. I have all these brilliant ideas and then I don't have the skills to get them done. However, I do my best to do things on my own and manage to drive Randy completely insane in the process. An example is this project from this week.

I bought these chairs at a tag sale years ago. They have been rebuilt several times and are totally falling apart right now. But I still love them. They have also been many colors and since the paint was peeling I decided to re-paint them all by myself. Shocker, I know. I went in our basement and found some paint I liked and I went to my craft box and dug out some sponge brushes and went to work. When Randy saw me using those sponge brushes he laughed so hard. He offered me a real paint brush. I told him the idea was for these chairs to look old and I wanted the paint to look like it was WEARING off not peeling off and I didn't need a professional paint job, thankyouverymuch. When I was all done he said, "Oh! I get it now." That statement sums up 25 years of marriage. That honesuckle in the background was from a shoot that somebody gave us. I don't even have a green thumb and am shocked how it completely took over that space.


This is our new shed. I will post the finished picture after it is painted. We got those doors at a garage sale. The siding is from our old carport and the shingles and tar paper were in our garage from the previous owner. The concrete was poured from a left over batch. I LOVE it!

So go out and recycle, repurpose and replant!

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Just a note to tell you that your house (outside and inside) is AMAZING. Whether or not you bought your stuff at a garage sale...it looks awesome. You can spot fixer-upper stuff and I can not...I think that is a talent in itself! I just love every room, and I could live on your back porch.
-Your admiring neighbor

Casey said...

You are amazing!! Happy Earth Day to you, too!

Rhonda said...

I'm so impressed!