I was so cold all day long. It was all cloudy outside and I thought it was perfect soup weather. For days Abe has been begging me to make potato soup. And since I aim to please my children - that's exactly what I decided to do.
I have several potato soups I make depending on what I have on hand, what sounds good, blah blah blah. Everybody has dozens of recipes, I'm sure.
A couple of notes about this soup. It is the BEST potato soup. I love it. We all do. Even picky eaters Abby and Stella. Next thing - it's not very healthy. Why Oh Why are the most delicious foods unhealthy? The way I look at it is we don't eat out hardly ever. We eat fairly healthy so if I want to make us comfort food - I'm not going to feel guilty. I am a justifier of all things. If you can justify things like me and want the best potato soup EVER- this is just what you've been looking for. Enjoy!
CHEESY POTATO SOUP
8 slices bacon
32 oz package tater tots
2 cans chicken broth
1 stick butter (I don't use margarine)
12 slices American Cheese
1 cup green onions with tops - sliced
1 tsp minced garlic
2 cups sour cream
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
In a large pot, combine tater tots and broth over medium heat until thawed and crumbled. Add remaining ingredients (except bacon). Stir well. Cover and cook on LOW until soup is hot. DO NOT BOIL! I cooked mine for 2 hours this afternoon. It heats up in about 30 minutes for a quick meal.
Brown bacon and use as garnish when serving. DELISH! Abe said this is his favorite meal ever. I laugh because he won't go near sour cream and he has no idea that is what makes this so yummy.
I was feeling brave and have some new gluten free flour mix and thought I would make my homemade biscuits. These were a staple in our house in the gluten eating days. It has been four years since I made these. I must say - I was impressed. Not near as tasty as with wheat flour but they were really good. This is the recipe I learned my freshman year in home ec class.
BISCUITS
2 cups flour (I used William Sonoma C4C)
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons shortening
sift flour, baking powder and salt. add shortening and cut it. gradually add milk. knead 8-10 times. roll out and cut with glass or cookie cutter.
bake 450 for 12-15 minutes.
2 comments:
Actually, I am not picky in my old age :). When I make this soup I make it even healthier- I make the bacon first and pour a little bacon grease in the soup. It adds some really yummy flavor :).
Those biscuits look super tasty. Can I make them with wheat flour?
Yes Abby - the recipe is for regular (white) flour. Super easy. You can't mess them up :-)
Post a Comment