Thursday, November 19, 2009

Living Without

As we gear up fo the holidays it is more apparent than ever that I have an eating issue. Not a day goes by when I don't think about having Celiac disease.  When we head out for that 12-hour drive to Chicago, I have to have a game plan for myself.  We don't just run through McDonalds anymore. Which is a good thing.

I am aware, more than ever, of what we are putting inside our bodies. Our eating out has come to an abrupt stop. I miss it but I feel like a different person. I feel better. I feel well.

Gluten? Most people have never heard of it. Plenty of people are still clueless. For the majority of people it will never matter.

In the beginning of going gluten free, I was shocked at peoples comments. Here are a few:

"God made wheat - how can you be allergic to it?" I AM NOT ALLERGIC TO IT! Celiac is an auto-immune disease and my body attacks itself. That is not good. FYI - God made poop and I'm not eating that, either.

"Isn't there a pill you can take? NO! WHY DO I WANT TO TAKE A PILL FOR EVERYTHING?

"Cross contamination? You are going overboard." REALLY? Umm....The cook didn't wash his hands and now there is a little of his pooh and boogers in your nice expensive dinner. You are fine with a little cross contamination - right?

"You can cheat can't you?" Not to repeat myself but rememeber it's just a little pooh in your meatloaf - it won't matter that much, will it? Just imagine the boogers are celery. It'll be fine.

"It's all in your head." SERIOUSLY?

Get the picture?

I don't expect anybody to go out of their way to accommodate my intolerance. That said - I have found much comfort and support in those friends and family who do go out of their way to call me and read ingredients or ask me if something is gluten free. I have also found that some people just don't care. I have heard "Oops! Sorry there is nothing for you to eat here."  I am not offended but I do jump up and down when I know that I matter enough to be considered in the food choices. I appreciate each of you who has ventured down that very pricely gluten free aisle of the grocery store to bake me something special. And for those who don't, it's OK, too.

I always love our trips to Chicago because gluten free is everywhere and completely normal and yummy, too. I am thankful to be spending Thanksgiving with my Chicago  family this year. I am also thankful that they are helping me plan an almost gluten free Thanksgiving. They are such a blessing and joy to me.

If you have family or friends who have an allergy or intolerance - it's really not that hard to make a few changes to your favorite recipe or maybe make something new. I am living a different life now and I can relate to those peanut and dairy allergy people like I never did before.

I guess I'm off my soapbox.

Not forever. Just for today.

1 comment:

Tom Bailey said...

I am hosting a vegan thanksgiving -some of them go glutten free as well. Raw foodists are probably your best bet to confide in. Wheat free vegans understand pretty well too.

Most people will never "get it" about how challenging it is.

Best of luck