"In the long run, we shape our lives, and we shape ourselves. The process never ends until we die. And the choices we make are ultimately our own responsibility.” Eleanor Roosevelt
My kids have made plenty of choices and own the consequences of those choices.
Like if they want to wear shorts and freeze in the middle of winter.
If they watch a horror film - they will have nightmares.
If they board their plane too late - their luggage will stay in Chicago even if they are in Kansas City. (OK- I paid for this consequence, too. No Fair!!)
There were things in our home that our off spring did not get to have a say.
Here is a short list:
They have to learn to play an instrument. (they may choose to never play again after they learn)
They have to brush their teeth.
They have to learn how to balance a checkbook. (I know they don't do this)
They have to learn to swim.
They have to play Draw Something with me.
They have to learn to drive stick shift.
They must buckle up. (this is hard to monitor but hopefully a life long habit)
They have to go to college. (my huge regret - so I push my hopes and dreams off on my kids. It is awesome parenting - isn't it? That is why there are therapists)
In three SHORT weeks I will have lived to see two of my children graduate from college. One of them twice!
That makes me happy. Very happy.
Life is uncertain.
Life is long. (or short - depending on where you are at on the timeline)
I know a diploma does not guarantee a well paying job or even a job in general.
They may work in a factory where an education is not needed. They may never hold a job that earns a paycheck. Maybe someday they may choose to go back to school for something totally different.
However, they have gained life skills and met forever friends and grown up while they were away at college.
It may be expensive but at the same time it is priceless.
Whatever they choose to do with their time and talents from this point forward is their choice. I will always be their to love, support and encourage them.
I am NOT an expert parent. Far from it. I have no idea what I'm doing half the time. Randy and I know college is not for everybody. But we prayed and worked really hard and decided it was best for our kids.
We really expected a lot from them. They exceeded all of our expectations.
They both worked really hard and did not ever give up when that would have been easier. It was a long road at times.
I would not change a thing. I am so proud of my girls.
I hope they feel the same way.
p.s. Abe came home from school a few weeks ago and said he was quitting sixth grade. Something about a failed volleyball test. I am really hoping to have a 100% success rate here. After a little pep talk - I am proud to announce he is moving on the 7th grade next year!
1 comment:
I usually appreciate our dream pushing.. usually :).
Post a Comment